Wednesday 15 November 2017

USED TO AND WOULD

Hi 3rd graders, please copy this into your notebooks. Then, do Ex. 6 and 8 on p.22 in your book. And ex.9 on p.22 IN YOUR NOTEBOOK.

When we talk about past routines and habits, we can use PAST SIMPLE as in this example:
When I was a child, I spent my summers in India.

But we can also use two other forms to express the same. 

USED TO
  • past routines and habits that happened regularly
I used to spend my summers in India when I was a child.
I didn’t use to spend my summers in England.
  • past states and situations
I used to have long hair when I was a child.
I used to live in Miami.  

WOULD
  • past routines and habits that happened regularly
I would play football when I was a child.
BUT NOT past states and situations
I would have long hair when I was a child.  
I would live in Miami.

BEWARE! (ojo!)
be used to - estar acostumbrado
get used to - estar acostumbrándose

Explain the difference in these sentences IN YOUR NOTEBOOK:
I'm used to waking up at 5am.
I'm getting used to waking up at 5am.
I used to wake up at 5am.




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?
Leave a post!